Perhaps since some of us are not going many places these days, it is a good time for a traveling quiz. Can you answer these five place-related numismatic questions?
1. Where did the Old Spanish Trail end according to the map on the reverse of the 1936 commemorative half dollar?
- Saint Augustine, Florida
- San Diego, California
- El Paso, Texas
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
2. Mark Newby, an English Quaker, emigrated from Ireland to the British colonies in 1681 on a fishing boat. In what present-day state did he land with is load of St. Patrick's coinage?
- New Jersey
- New York
3. The Mormons struck the first $20 gold piece in the United States at the Great Salt Lake in 1849. Before they settled in Utah, where did they issue banknotes from their "Anti-Banking Company"?
- Nauvoo, Illinois
- Fayette, New York
- Council Bluffs, Iowa
- Kirtland, Ohio
4. From where did John Reich, the engraver responsible for the "Capped Bust" design of 1807, emigrate to Philadelphia?
5. Which of the following American coin enthusiasts did NOT travel to Cairo, Egypt for the 1954 sale of King Farouk's massive coin collection?
- Emery Mae Norweb
- John Jay Pittman
- B. Max Mehl
- Abe Kosoff
Answers: 1-c, 2-b, 3-d, 4-b, 5-c